Important Notes for the 2016-2017 School Year:
OYPTS is 27 Years Old! The longest running theatre school in Ottawa!
· OYPTS reserves the right to make changes to the class schedule following registration if required to accommodate demand.
· Insufficient registration in any class can result in its cancellation, in which case we will do our utmost to accommodate any students affected.
· While we will do our utmost to avoid changes, OYPTS does not guarantee the teacher for any particular class will not change. We encourage OYP teachers to Team teach so that the students can experience different theatre techniques.
· Class size is limited and these limits will be strictly enforced. Please have more than one choice of class. Classes will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
· All classes begin the week of Monday, September 19, 2016.
· OYPTS is committed to providing the best possible learning environment for all its students. The success of the program lies in the enthusiasm and co-operation of each child. We will do our best to resolve any behavioral difficulties that may arise, and we count on your support as parent/guardian. However, if we are unable to resolve a disruptive situation, we will require that the disruptive child be withdrawn from the course without refund.
· A transfer between classes will be allowed at no extra fee unless the class transferring to is more expensive. Classes run from September to June; refunds for withdrawals after the second week of classes will be considered on an individual basis. There will always be a $25 administrative fee.
· Theatre is a TEAM sport. We expect the students and their parents to understand this and make every effort to attend all classes and rehearsals in the creation and development of their plays and performance pieces.
· OYPTS provides an on-stage experience for all students; this is costly. OYP strives to keep tuition and other expenses affordable but we do have theatre rental expenses that need to be covered. To cover theatre rental we charge a small admission fee for student shows: $10/adults and $5 for children and all students. Please let us know if you have financial difficulties or challenges.
· Students in Teen Acting, Specialized, Intermediate and Senior classes may be required to miss between one and three days of school during the production/performance period, depending on the nature of the production. If parents are not prepared for their child to miss school, they should not register for these classes.
· Performance dates for each class will be made available as soon as possible in order to minimize conflicts with other activities and ensure availability of all participants. Theatre time is limited and there is very little flexibility to change the theatre schedule. Any potential conflicts must be reported to the Artistic Director as soon as possible. OYPTS cannot change performance dates to accommodate conflicts.
· Please note that due to limited availability of the theatre, your child’s performance may be scheduled on Mother’s Day or the May holiday weekend.
· HST must be charged for students 15 and over.
OYP Theatre School offers a full curriculum of introductory and specialized acting and theatre classes, for students from pre-school to adult.
Most classes are taught over THREE TERMS (The All Ages Family Plays are one term only):
September 19-December 10, 2016
January 9-March 12, 2017
March 20-June 10, 2017
In the year 2016-17 the OYPTS theme of study is The FUTURE – Where We “Wanna” GO!!
While working within our educational training excellence, we will focus studies on imagining where we might be in the near and far future, encouraging appreciation of arts development through many sources of inspiration.
• Poetry, texts, fables, fairy tales, visual ART, MUSIC- for example
• NEW!! 2016-2017 introduces the first of our Royal Conservatory credentialed theatre opportunities.
Students will perform on stage in our 2017 Student Spring Showcase: OYPTS PLAYS Imagining The Future!! *Please call Kathi Langston, OYPTS’ Artistic Director if you want advice on what class would best suit you or your child. In the spirit of our theme: The Future- consider signing up to study and complete a Speech Drama exam; OYPTS will be working with The Royal Conservatory this year. It will look great on your resume for future jobs! *Some students may be best served in a class level either above or below their age: talk to Kathi.
All classes will be in the OYPTS studios in The Shenkman Arts Centre:
245 Centrum Boulevard, Orleans, ON K1E 0A1
613.580.2764 | www.oypts.ca